Peas and Pudding; The Story of a Culinary Student

"It takes courage to grow up, and be who you really are." --E. E. Cummings.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Jewish Town

"One of the very nicest parts about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is that we're doing, and devote our attention to eating." Luciano Pavarotti

Sorry, everyone that it's been a while since I've had anything to write. The last week or so has been kind of been rather hectic in trying to readjust to actually having a set schedule.

These last two weeks at school have been good, though.
I would just like to say that I am very glad to be in B-shift. We are slowly getting more and more freedom in the kitchen, and because of the advantageousness of our time frame, we're in the kitchen more than A-shift.

Although, we're not getting more instruction, I'd rather be serving food on the line or washing dishes than sitting in the classroom.

In the past week we've done a fair amount of bookwork. We did some tests on sanitation, hygiene, and kitchen safety, along with a math assessment test. We tend to do these earlier in the day, and come into the kitchen for an hour after A-shift leaves.

Two of the main things that I've been doing are serving on the Skills Grill line (supervised by Chef Nate), or working in the bake shop with Chef Mary.

The Skills Grill is essentially a hot food line, similar to what you would find in a cafeteria. Except for the food is better. For example, the first day that I served, the menu was prime rib (which was so tender that it was falling apart as I was trying to serve it. SO APPETIZING.), rice pilaf, and steamed cauliflower with red bell peppers. Today, it was roasted chicken, scalloped potatoes, and carrots. There's also a full beverage bar, two kinds of smoothies, and a soup of the day. DELISH.

In the bake shop with Chef Mary, we've been making yeast rolls, decorating pastries, and rolling cookie dough.

When I'm not busy at either one of these jobs, I'm usually in the dish tank or at the pots and pans sink. It seems to be my calling in life, as much as I'd like to escape it. :/
Just kidding. Like I said, I'd rather wash dishes than sit in the classroom.

There was a rumor circulating today that said that we start in the kitchen on Monday. If this is true, GET STOKED, cause I know I will be.

Thanks for taking the time to read, you're awesome. :]

3 comments:

  1. Ohhh, I can't wait to hear what will come next week. I ate at your cafe once and sister, it was AWESOME. I remember having the most delicious Butternut Squash soup and some kind of wonderful, tender, tasty fish dish. Yummm..I am going to try and talk my staff into taking a field trip in the very near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I'm so glad. :]
    And I love the whole field trip idea. That would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting stoked!!! Can't wait to hear more. Gotta go now... Suddenly I'm feeling hungry ;0)

    ReplyDelete