Peas and Pudding; The Story of a Culinary Student

"It takes courage to grow up, and be who you really are." --E. E. Cummings.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Day of Defeat

"If you live on doughnuts, rest assured, you will not do well."-- C. Din

Well, just so everyone knows, the culinary honeymoon is officially over.

I still love it, of course, but yesterday was probably the worst day that I've had for a very long time.

Yesterday was the day that I started with Chef Tony.

The day began with taking a cookie inventory.

If I had to decide the worst job ever, it would be inventory. Any inventory. It is the single most torturous job that anyone one person can endure. Within Culinary, I suppose.

I should've known then that the rest of the day wasn't going to get much better.

After I had counted 1,519 thumb-print, jam-filled, cookies, Chef Tony told me to find a recipe for Raspberry Swirl Brownies. I then searched his clandestine-labeled index, and combed through the entire folder, twice, I told him I couldn't find it.

Of course.
Five minutes later, he came out into the kitchen, and hands me a recipe, and told me to get started.

I took the recipe, and looked down at it.
There wasn't a word of direction.

So I started by gathering my ingredients, which took way longer than expected. I guess you can't really ask much of a kitchen full of students, who half the time don't even know what they're doing.
Whatever.

Finally got started, and Chef Tony came over to see where I was at.
So we were talking, and I went to grab the flour, and poured it into my mixer... before I finished with my liquid ingredients.

The product was the stickiest, chocolatiest, gooiest, lumpiest, mess that I had ever seen.

Aubry Gross was not a happy cook.

Chef Tony told me to still use it, and that it would be ok.

I finished making them, and set the pans aside to be baked. I then realized what a mess I had made. My uniform was trashed, my station was in complete tumult, and the bell was ringing.

What the heck.

I cleaned up my station, and got dressed, and left in a foul mood.
It didn't help that that ridiculous Christmas song "Feliz Navidad" was on the radio when I got into the car. For the second time that day.

Really?

When I got home, I attempted to write a quick blog to all of you, but I was in such emotional duress, that I didn't get much done before I had to go and get a ROOT CANAL.

By the time that we finally got to the doctor's office, I was asking for the lethal injection.

Ugh, it pains me to even think about it...

Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

  1. Lethal injection eh...?

    Aubry Gross and the Horrible No Good Very Bad Day...take it easy on yourself, Mama said there'll be days like this. And when there are they make you appreciate the good ones all the more. xoxo

    PS...you crack me the hell up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey aub this is your cuz tori. How u doin?? I love your blog! love ya! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt Beth - I think you forgot a "Terrible" in front of that Horrible ;)

    Chin up Aub, you're still awesome and we all love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How does that saying go? "Into every culinary student's life a few crumbs must fall..." or something like that ;)
    Hang in there!
    And just so you know... you are welcome to bring that sticky, gooey, lumpy, chocolate mess over for me to eat right outta the pan anytime you wish. ;P

    ReplyDelete