Peas and Pudding; The Story of a Culinary Student

"It takes courage to grow up, and be who you really are." --E. E. Cummings.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Rolling...

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." --J. R. R. Tolkien

On the whole, a good day.

It started out with putting chicken on a stick, which is harder than it sounds.

What I had to do was to take pieces of sliced chicken breast and thread them through a long bamboo skewer. Now if they had been chicken tenders, it would've been easier, because they're thicker. But hey, you work with what you've got.

After I did a couple, though, I got the hang of it, and just started banging 'em out.

Between four of us, we did about 200.

When we finished, I put them in the cooler, and did some other odd jobs, and cleaned up. Chef Dave then had me help another student bag sliced ham.

After I finished ( the other kid had to leave), I kind of just stood around until one of my buddies needed some help on a recipe. He needed me to strain some sauce, and while I was doing this, Chef Dave came over to talk to me.

He asked if Chef Tony was talking to me about Skills USA, and he told me a little more about the competition, and told me about when he had done it in high school. He said that he thought I did really good work. He also said that he wanted to teach me how to cut up a whole chicken (a second year student assignment), and sort of "see whatcha got," type of deal.

"Sounds great!" I said.

I finished straining the sauce, and Chef Dave came over and gave Josh and I some concentrated actual teaching with the recipe we were doing. It was really cool and fun.

Yeah, It was a really great day.

Thanks for reading.




1 comment:

  1. cutting up a whole chicken huh? Now I'll know who to call when I need that (disgusting) job done. :) Love being able to follow allong with you on your food journey. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete