Peas and Pudding; The Story of a Culinary Student

"It takes courage to grow up, and be who you really are." --E. E. Cummings.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Creme de la Creme

"I am not a glutton, I am an explorer of food." --Julia Child

Well, as you can probably tell from my lack of bloggage, I haven't been at school for the past two days. I was stuck at home with a harrowing toothache. It started over the weekend, and carried over the beginning of the week. I was able to get to the dentist yesterday, and got some answers.

I was happy to be at school again today, though. I was getting pretty bored at home, so I was ready for some pastry ballgame.

Chef Mary was also glad that I was back, and put me to work pretty much at once.
She had me whip a quart of cream and then fold it into some Bavarian cream.

Just a clarifier.
Bavarian cream is pretty much the butter of the gods. And once it's mixed with whipped cream... GAME OVER.

After the creams were combined, Ashley piped it onto eclaires that I had cut. To be completely honest, they were pretty gorgeous. I envied those who were going to eat them.

Ashley and I went on break to stew about the coveted pastries.

We came back to find MORE cream.
Coconut cream.
Like a balmy island getaway.
PLEASE.

This cream was left over from coconut cream pies that Chef Tony made, and Chef Mary decided that we needed to get rid of it.

Someday, I hope that I'm as objective about as she is about food. *sigh*

We paired the left-over cream with a pineapple up-side-down cake.
Can you say divine.
All you need is a beautiful Hawaiian in a grass skirt to come and deliver it to you. It'd be a done deal.

By the time I was done piping the coconut onto the cakes, it was past time for me to go and get dressed. I farewelled the cakes and eclaires, and left.

Thanks everyone, for reading. :]
Love you.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to delete, I had a typo ;-)

    Ohhh that sounds beyond yummy...I bet it was pure torture not to bite into one..poor baby!

    When can I come and taste one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your strength in resisting such deliciousness. Stay strong. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hah, thanks Aunt Kim. :]

    Aunt Beth: The cafe is now open, I'll post the link to the website for times and stuff. Just so you know, I'm not at school for the lunch hour, but maybe I can work something out with my carpooling friend one day so that we can stay.

    http://fctc.wwcsd.net/Images/MarquetteRoom/index.htm

    ReplyDelete