Peas and Pudding; The Story of a Culinary Student

"It takes courage to grow up, and be who you really are." --E. E. Cummings.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

FINALLY.

“For fish to taste right, it must swim three times. Once in water, once in butter, and once in wine.“ --Polish Proverb

Sorry everyone for not writing yesterday. I know I kind of built it up, then dropped you flat. I was dropped quite flat, myself.

I went into school yesterday expecting to get my rotation, and get started in my station. This unfortunately didn't happen. Big surprise. I spent the majority of class time organizing the myriads of gloves and washing dishes. Needless to say, I was not happy.

We did, however, get temporary rotations for about the next week or so.
I was assigned to the Hot Foods area with Chef Dave. I was a little nervous about this, because I didn't really know what to think about him. I quickly discovered that he is completely awesome. He's a really excellent teacher, and I appreciate his style.
He taught us about developing an objective palate, how to cut and slice celery, and how to peel a carrot and an onion. All very important.

After A-shift left, we got an 8 minute break. When we got back to Chef Dave, we asked him what was next. He informed us that we would be, essentially teaching the other B-shifters (they had a math class) what they had missed in class.
So, we did our best to recreate what Chef Dave had done, with some of his help. By the time that we had finished, it was time to get dressed, and get ready to leave. Not bad for a first day.
Thanks for reading. <3

4 comments:

  1. Dear Bree: Glad you enjoy your Profs.. That makes learning so much more relaxing and fun...Keep up the good work... LOL Gjan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh yes, slicing, dicing, chopping the onion. You will impress your friends and family with your newly learned cutting skills. I still get exited when I pull one out of the fridge. And remember even when the chef is a total idiot, they still have many cool things to teach you...xoxo

    I wonder...any accidental finger amputations yet???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edited to add....I understood that you liked your teacher, I was referring to future chefs in your life...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, not yet. I was waiting for it though. Especially when we had to teach the other guys. :]

    There were a couple of times when I just wanted to go ham on one of the chefs, but I showed some self-restraint. :]

    ReplyDelete