Peas and Pudding; The Story of a Culinary Student

"It takes courage to grow up, and be who you really are." --E. E. Cummings.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Pick me! I have Skills!

"Life itself is a proper binge."-- Julia Child

Day one in the Skills Grill.

There's not really too much to write about today. We started in the Skills Grill with Chef Nate, and it went pretty well. I sometimes felt during the day that there wasn't enough to do for the amount of people that we had.
A few "too many cooks in the kitchen".

I worked on the line serving fries, and when I grabbed the fry-shuffler thing I was confused. Sure I had seen them used at McDonald's and other fast food restaurants, but I had never actually used one before. I was slightly embarrassed to have to ask for help, but I did anyway.

I also secured my first burn on the job. Call me crazy, but I have a strange feeling of accomplishment because of it, although it's rather small.

All in all, a good day. I'm becoming more and more accustomed to the kitchen, and where things go, and how things happen, which makes everyone's job easier.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Brie: Love the blog..You are such an easy kind of airy writer. A writer is supposed to "paint" a picture with words and that is what you did.. I could see you at the frier and understand your excitement at your first BooBoo...Love the blog and love you ...GJAN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovin' the blog girl! Keep it up, it's cool to be able to go along this journey with you! :0)
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete