Peas and Pudding; The Story of a Culinary Student

"It takes courage to grow up, and be who you really are." --E. E. Cummings.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Fire drills.

"So long as you have food in your mouth, you've solved all the problems for the time being."-- Franz Kafkan

Day two with Chef Dave = PURE AWESOMENESS.

When I came in, A-shift was practicing taking a hotel pan full of soup out of the steam box. Thrilling, really.

After this, we went to the slicer. Each one of us had to take it apart, wipe it down, and put it back together. At first, I thought I was going to throw up. There is probably almost nothing that scares me so much as a electric slicer. There was a warning label with a lovely picture on the side showing a hand with all of the fingers cut off and the nubs left bleeding.

I nearly fainted.

I was the last to come forward, and right as I was in the middle of trying to wipe it down, a siren started going off, and there was a light that was flashing.
Of course, a fire drill.

Who does that? Can't they see I'm in the middle of trying to conquer one of my biggest fears??!
FORGET ABOUT IT! No respect.

Once the entire school had traipsed their way to the lawn, teachers had to make sure that everyone was accounted for. What the heck.

After this whole ordeal was over, we came back into the kitchen, and resumed our work as if nothing had happened. I finished [praise God] putting the slicer back together, and went to a station for some more lessons in peeling and slicing.

Our next victim was an unsuspecting potato. After it was thoroughly and meticulously peeled, Chef Dave had us slice them into shoestring fry shapes, and then dice them.
We then took the carrot that we peeled yesterday, and cut it into thirds. By the time that everyone had this done [which ended up being a while], A-shift had to leave.

Once they were gone, we continued to slice the carrots into smaller slices.
I was sure that I was going to slicing carrots into a fine julienne for the rest of my young life.
When we had finished, Chef Dave showed us the proper way to core, and dice/mince an onion. As soon as we had finished with the onion, we cleaned up for C-shift, and got dressed.

To be honest, it really is so amazing. Truly worth the wait.

Thanks for reading.
:]



1 comment:

  1. Too weird..I too am petrified of the slicer. I don't watch when any of the kids are using it. We had one wise guy who reached in to snitch a piece of roast beef and nearly took off a finger...he spent many hours at the ER. The witnesses all agreed never to try to steal bites of food ever again.

    ReplyDelete