Peas and Pudding; The Story of a Culinary Student

"It takes courage to grow up, and be who you really are." --E. E. Cummings.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Eggs, Eggs, and More Eggs.

"If you're afraid of butter, use cream." --Julia Child

Bake shop started with Chef Mary on Monday. Not a whole lot was accomplished. We just had a tour of the bake shop, and learned how to work the industrial washer and dryer (which could probably hold several small children inside the drum).

Today, however, we did WAY more. I think that the reason was because the Cafe opens tomorrow, and we need to have desserts to sell.
Anyway, when I first came in, I mixed a custard for bread pudding.

After this, Chef Nate needed some dessert for the teachers, so Chef Mary asked me to put chocolate mousse on some dark chocolate cake that she had gotten out. So I was like "Ok, no biggie..."

Oh, no. Biggie.
I mean BIGGIE.

When I pulled the mousse out of the reach-in cooler, I thought I was going to die.

It was love at first lustful sight.

"Please, Chef Mary, please ask me to pipe this luscious cloud-like mousse onto these pieces of cake, and NOT EAT ANY OF IT. That would work out great for me."

I remained strong until I was done piping, and transferring that scrumptious chocolate dream to a different container.
When I took the original container to the dish tank, I sneaked a finger-full. It was pure bliss. I now know that I am going into the right profession.

Also...
When my mother got home, I she asked me to make some homemade applesauce. I had done this many times before, so I peeled my apples, diced them, and threw them into the crock pot with some cinnamon on top. When I went to check on it, I removed the lid, and breathed in.

Ladies and Gentlemen, fall has officially begun, and I for one am STOKED.

Thanks for reading. :]

1 comment:

  1. OMG Aub... you are doing what I have always wanted to do!!! I wish I knew how to cook elaborate and delicious meals for my husband, but work and school do kind of get in the way. Maybe if we ever move back to Michigan, you can just have us over for dinner every night ;) Anyways, I just thought I would tell you I made a pumpkin pie the other day (FALL!) and Alex said he wouldn't have known it was homemade, it tasted store bought! Which is a compliment for me, but probably an insult for a professional chef like yourself;) Love you! And miss you lots. B.

    ReplyDelete